My Brother / My Neighbors / My God

Friday, July 21, 2006

First a backstory:
When I turned 18 my drug-addicted brother invited me to his place (along with my Mom and his girlfriend and her kids) for my 18th birthday. We knew that this was possibly a bad idea but in the interest of family getting along we went. When we arrived there was a strange man on his sofa enjoying the zesty flavor from a crackpipe. That should have been our first hint? It was supposed to be a home-cooked dinner (my brother's girlfriend playing chef) but because our cook was so wasted on various chemcials the dinner was all over the kitchen floor. The fix? Let's order Chinese. At this point we wanted to get the hell out of the house but common sense had apparently left us.
My brother began to drink more and and decided to crack out some delicious Heroin. We weren't aware that he'd started dabbling in this but okay! He ordered Chinese food and when it finally arrived he had no money. Oops! So what does he do? Offered to pay the delivery guy in baggies of pot or coke. At this point we began to imagine ourselves being made someone's prison bitch. The delivery guy took the food away and now there was nothing. Keep in mind that there were two little kids in the middle of this madness!
Eventually my brother decided that my mother was a whore and broke her glasses.
We left.
I haven't seen my brother in 12 years.

And now:
We recently got some new neighbors. Coming from the family that we do we could smell trouble a mile away. And we were right! The police are over there at least once a week, there are constant parties and their children (who can't be more than 11) are constantly running around the neighborhood cursing. All day long these kids are playing with their idiot friends to the sounds of constant shouts of "ass****", "****sucker" and "****head. These are little kids!
There is booze and drugs constantly being consumed by the parents and their friends and the noise level is at a near constant dull roar. It's my brother all over again. Not only is it something this is causing me lack of sleep but it's also bringing up a whole ton of shit that I thought that I left in the past.
The other day they got a basketball hoop and now the little bastards are out there playing all day long and ... still swearing like pre-adolescent sailors. The parents? Partying and complaining about other neighbors ... loudly.

Arthur
-
Technorati Tags: [] [] [] []
-

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe this is coming to Canada, next. It seems as though it might help in those situations.

Anonymous said...

Art, Sorry to hear that...

Tom, stop trying to play up to Netscape.

wewerethecoolkids said...

Thanks Ming. And hey you know Tom. He's a 'scape-ho' :P

Arthur

bitingblondewit said...

I used to live in the same city where I attend college, in the kind of neighborhood one can afford on a student budget. Then one night a mobile meth lab blew up in front of my house...technically it was actually in my yard, almost attached to my front porch. It was quickly surrounded by the local SWAT team-they were armed with those pump shotguns, and the bad man was taken away. Shortly (immediately actually) after that, I moved out (to a cheap rural area) and now commute an hour an a half to school. And it's worth it. Have you considered relocating or having your neighbors relocated?

wewerethecoolkids said...

We can't afford to relocate so hopefully our neighbors will. Last night the kids through a large toy airplane at our house trying to knock down a wasp or bee's nest we didn't know about.

Arthur

Anonymous said...

By the way, I'm not quite a 'scape-ho', yet. Once I am, you won't be able to stand me.

...oh wait, you're already getting there, huh?

wewerethecoolkids said...

Um "no comment"

Arthur